President Uhuru Kenyatta has confirmed the first recovery case of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Kenya.
He, however, announced an additional three cases bringing the national tally to 28 confirmed cases.
Addressing the nation on the COVID-19 situation on Wednesday, March 25, President Kenyatta noted suspected cases have been found to be negative after rigorous testing saying it is an indication that the country can and indeed will defeat the virus.
He further urged Kenyans to observe the necessary guidelines to help combat the pandemic.
He also announced pay cuts to be voluntarily taken by the members of the executive beginning with him and his deputy both having 80% cut. The president also urged the other arms of government to emulate the move by the executive regarding the pay cuts.
Below is the summary of the directives:
1. Treasury moves to Parliament
a). for a 100% tax relief for 24,000 p/m earners.
b). Reduction for PAYE fro 30% to 25%.
c). Reduction of Corporate Tax to 25%
d). Turn over tax reduced from 3 to 1% for SMEs and below.
e). Appropriation of 10 billion to the old and orphans through direct transfers.
f). Temporary suspension on CRB defaulting notices.
2. National Treasury to reduce VAT from 16% to 14% effective 1st April.
3. Verified pending bills to be sorted within 3 weeks. Private Sector encouraged to do the same.
4. KRA expedited payment of VAT refunds within 3 weeks.
5. 1 billion health coverage kitty for supporting additional health workers.
6. Voluntary reduction in salaries – 80% for President and Executive, 30% for CS, and 20% for PSs.
7. All state and public officers with pre-existing officers aged 50 and above to take leave or work from home, excluding personnel offering essential services.
8. CBR lowered to 7.25% by CBK. And CRR to 4.25%. And performing loan payment eased.
9. Cabinet calendar reorganized, meetings to be twice weekly.
10. National Curfew announced from 7 pm-5 am.
11. National police service and Coast Guard to take over Kenya Ferry services.
Do you have any Breaking News Story? Would you like to be published on breakingnews.co.ke? WhatsApp us on +254 795 784 349 or Email email@example.com now!